A staple appetizer found in both German and Jewish delicatessens
- 24 herring fillets
- 4 cups sour cream
- 1 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 medium onions, sliced
- 3 sour apples, peeled and cut in thin strips
- 1 ounce peppercorns
- 1 ounce bay leaves
- ½ lemon, sliced thin
- Wash fillets; drain; arrange in bowl.
- Mix all other ingredients; pour over herring.
- Cover and place in refrigerator.
- Let chill and marinate 24 hours.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.