Created by Martha Stewart
- 2½ tablespoons unflavored gelatin
- 1½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- confectioners' sugar (for dusting)
- Combine gelatin and ½ cup cold water in the bowl of an electric mixer with whisk attachment.
- Let it stand 30 minutes.
- Combine granulated sugar, corn syrup, salt and ½ cup of water in a small heavy saucepan; place over low heat and stir until sugar has dissolved.
- Wash down sides of pan with a wet pastry brush to dissolve sugar crystals.
- Clip on a candy thermometer; raise heat to high.
- Cook syrup without stirring until it reaches 244°F (firm-ball stage).
- Immediately remove pan from heat.
- With mixer on low speed, slowly and carefully pour syrup into the softened gelatin.
- Increase speed to high; beat until mixture is very thick and white and has almost tripled in volume, about 15 minutes.
- Add vanilla; beat to incorporate.
- Generously dust an 8 x 12-inch glass baking pan with confectioners' sugar.
- Pour marshmallow mixture into pan.
- Dust with confectioners' sugar; let stand overnight, uncovered, to dry out.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.