- 1 Acorn or butternut squash
- 1 ½ c Sliced Onion
- 1 ts safflower oil
- ¼ c Dry sherry
- 4 Red bell peppers; julienned
- 3 Cloves garlic; minced
- 2 ts Ground coriander
- 2 ts cumin
- 1 ts Dry mustard
- ½ c Nonfat plain yogurt
- ½ c sour cream or half-and-half
- ¼ c Minced parsley
- 1 c Cooked black beans
- 1 c Cooked brown rice
- ⅓ c Grated low-fat jack cheese
- 2 tb lemon juice
- safflower oil; for coating pan
- ¼ c Thinly sliced red bell pepper; for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Split Squash in half and place, cut side down, on baking sheet, leaving in seeds (moisture from seeds helps speed cooking process). Bake Squash for 20 minutes.
2. While Squash is baking, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, saute Onion in safflower oil and sherry until soft but not browned. Add red peppers and garlic to saute and cook for 5 more minutes.
3. Mix sauteed vegetables with coriander, cumin, dry mustard, yogurt, sour cream, parsley, beans, brown rice, Cheese, and lemon juice. When Squash is baked, scoop out seeds and remove peel. Cube cooked Squash and add to other ingredients.
4. Lightly oil a large casserole dish and spoon mixture into it. Garnish top with red pepper slices. Bake for 25 minutes.