- Ethnicity - South Indian
- Type of meal - Party, Lunch, Dinner
- 2 cups rice - preferably parboiled
- ½ cup split and husked black gram (dhuli urad) - soaked with rice for 5-6 hours
- ½ tsp fenugreek seeds
- oil to smear the pan for cooking the dosas
- 2 tsp salt
- 500 gm (3 cups) potatoes - boiled, peeled and cubed
- 1½ cups onions - sliced not very thin
- ¼ tsp powdered turmeric
- 2 green chillies - chopped coarsely (optional)
- 6-7 curry leaves or ½ tsp dried curry leaves
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ cup water
- Grind daal mixture together to a very smooth consistency. Add salt and enough water to make into a dropping consistency. Leave to ferment for about 5-6 hours, till a little spongy.
- If thickened too much, add a little water to thin a bit. Heat tawa, and brush oil over it. When really hot, splash a little water over it, and immediately pour batter onto it, spreading it thin, with a circular motion. This will have to be very swift and will need a bit of practice.
- After spreading the batter, lower the heat and dribble a little oil around the edges so that it seeps under the dosa. When edges start browning a bit, pass a flat spoon under it to ease the dosa off the pan.
- Put desired filling in the centre and fold the two edges over. Serve accompanied with sambhar and chutney
For the masala Filling
- Heat the oil in a heavy based pan and add the mustard seeds, then onions, curry leaves and green chillies, and sauté over high heat till the onions are a little transparent.
- Add the salt and the turmeric and mix well before adding the potatoes. Turn the potatoes around till well mixed and add the water and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.