- 2 cups parboiled rice
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 cup split urad dal (split black gram)
- ½ teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- oil (for frying)
- ghee or clarified butter
Potato curry Edit
- 3 tablespoons oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon gram dal
- 1 teaspoon black gram dal
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 4 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs curry leaves, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⅛ lbs potatoes, boiled,peeled,chopped
- coriander leaves, finely chopped (use about one handful)
- 1 lemon, juice of (optional)
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 pinch asafetida powder
- 3 dried red chilies
- 1½ tablespoons split urad dal (split black gram)
- ½ coconut, grated
- tamarind pulp (use a lemon-sized ball)
- Soak the parboiled and uncooked rice together in water.
- Separately, soak the dal and fenugreek seeds together in water.
- After 3–4 hours, drain and reserve the water and grind both separately in a blender to a fine paste, adding some the reserved water as needed (if the grinder/blender seizes up) until the mixture is of batter consistency.
- Add the salt, some water if necessary, and mix both together thoroughly; keep overnight to ferment.
- The next day, check the batter; if too thick, add some water and mix so that it is of a pouring consistency.
- Heat a skillet and grease with some oil.
- Pour a ladleful of batter and spread as quickly as possible into a thin circle.
- Pour a little oil (about 1/2 teaspoon) all around the crepe and on the centre as well.
- Cook until the dosa is done, then turn over and cook the other side until crisp.
- Set the dosas aside.
- Note: If parboiled rice is not available, soak 2 1/4 cups of uncooked rice.
Potato curry Edit
- Heat the 3 tablespoons of oil.
- Season with the mustard and gram dals.
- When done, add the chopped onions, green chilies, ginger, curry leaves, chili powder, and turmeric powder.
- When the onions are browned, add the potatoes and salt, and mix thoroughly.
- Add the coriander leaves and lemon juice, if desired, and mix well.
- Heat the oil, add the asafoetida, red chilies, and then the dal.
- Fry until the dal turns brownish.
- Remove from flame.
- Grind this mixture with the grated coconut, salt and tamarind to a slightly rough paste.
- Add a little water to make the chutney of a spreadable consistency.
- To make the masala dosas (the final product!): When required, reverse the prepared dosa and place on a skillet.
- Spread approximately 1 tablespoon of chutney evenly all over the dosa.
- Carefully place 2 tablespoons of potato curry in the centre, fold the the left a third over the centre, and then the right side over the left.
- Sprinkle a little ghee or butter.
- Roast for a minute or two.
- Remove from flame and serve immediately.
- Alternatively, stuff the dosa with the potato curry only, and serve the chutney as a dip.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.