Portugese Sweet Bread
- Contributed by Cat's Recipes Y-Group
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- ¼ cup water, lukewarm
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ cup butter or margarine
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 cups flour
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Add milk to sugar, butter and salt, stir until butter is melted.
- Mix cinnamon and flour.
- Add ½ flour to the milk, sugar, butter and salt and mix until smooth.
- Beat 3 eggs and add them and the yeast to the mixture.
- Continue to add remaining flour to make soft dough.
- Remove it from the bowl and place on floured board.
- Knead until smooth and satiny (about 15 minutes).
- Shape into a ball and place in buttered bowl.
- Cover and let rise until double in size for 3 hours.
- Punch risen dough down and divide it in half.
- Place in two greased pans.
- Let rise in warm place until double in size approximately 2 hours.
- Brush tops of dough with remaining beaten egg.
- Bake in 350°F oven for 20 – 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on wire racks.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.