This dish is normally served refrigerated with the beef very cold, which makes for much easier slicing and serving.
- 2 beef sirloin, boneless, 1"
- 4 eggs, hard-cooked - wedged
- ½ garlic clove - crushed
- 1 large onion - sliced in rings
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp parsley - chopped
- 1 tsp thyme, dried
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 6 large carrots - quartered lengthwise
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2½ cups beef stock
- pepper, black
- 12 oz spinach, fresh
- Prepare beef by slicing each steak horizontally to within ½" of the opposite side.
- Fold open, place in shallow dish, one atop the other.
- Combine garlic, vinegar and thyme.
- Pour mixture over beef, cover, and refrigerate for 6 hours to thoroughly marinate.
- Meanwhile, cook carrots in salted water 20 minutes or until nearly tender.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Remove beef from marinade, pat dry with paper towels.
- Remove beef from marinade, pat dry with paper towels, place with long side of each steak overlapping 2 inches.
- Pound overlap together with meat mallet.
- Spread spinach over entire surface.
- Arrange cooked carrots crosswise over spinach.
- Sprinkle with parsley, salt, red pepper, egg wedges and onion rings.
- Roll beef and filling, tie with kitchen string at 3" intervals.
- Place in large roasting pan, pour oil over and beef stock around beef.
- Cover, roast 1 hour; adding more stock as needed.
- Cool 10 minutes, remove string, slice beef and strain cooking liquid.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.