- a few tablespoons cooking oil
- two onions, chopped
- one or two teaspoons curry powder
- two cloves of garlic, minced
- one spoonful of grated ginger (powdered ginger is different, but acceptable)
- one or two hot chile peppers, cleaned and chopped
- two large Eggplants, or several small ones; chopped, lightly salted, and squeezed to partially remove moisture
- three or four potatoes, chopped (optional)
- two or three tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- one small can or tomato paste (optional)
- salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper or red pepper (to taste)
- quarter teaspoon of Sugar (optional)
- one cup milk, coconut milk
- Heat oil in a large pot.
- Sauté onions for a few minutes, then add curry powder, garlic, ginger, and chile pepper.
- Continue frying over high heat for a few more minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add Eggplant and potatoes (if desired).
- Stir and fry until Eggplant begins to brown.
- Reduce heat.
- Simmer for ten minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and tomato paste. Adjust seasoning.
- Simmer until sauce is thickened and everything is tender.
- Stir in milk, coconut milk, or yogurt (if desired) just before serving.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.