- Makes 6 servings
- 1¼ cups (8 ounces) dry small white beans
- 7 cups water, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- ½ pound lean ground beef
- ½ pound spicy pork sausage meat
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon basil leaves
- ½ teaspoon oregano leaves
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 x 14½- to 16-ounce can tomatoes, cut up
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- Rinse beans.
- Soak overnight in 4 cups water and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Drain; set aside.
- Combine beef and sausage.
- Form into 36 x 1-inch meat balls.
- Brown in large skillet; drain.
- Combine beans, meat balls, onion, celery, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, basil, oregano, paprika, remaining 3 cups water and salt.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 to 1½ hours or until beans are tender.
- Stir in tomatoes and carrot.
- Simmer 10 minutes longer.
- Ladle into soup bowls.
- Top each with mound of fluffy rice.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.