- 2 cup lean ground round (15% fat)
- 1 tbsp salt
- ¾ cup instant rice
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup prepared breadcrumbs
- 1½ cup buttermilk
- 1 tbsp diet margarine
- ½ tbsp arrowroot starch
- Mix beef, crumbs, salt, ½ cup buttermilk, and rice.
- Shape into two dozen meatballs (about 1" thick).
- In large skillet, brown meatballs in margarine on all sides; pour water over; cover tightly.
- Boil until rice is tender and meat is cooked (about 30 minutes).
- Remove from skillet.
- Mix remaining 1 cup buttermilk with arrowroot to form smooth paste; stir into liquid remaining in skillet.
- Stirring constantly, cook until gravy is thick (do not boil).
- Return meatballs to pan and gently heat.
- Serve with gravy.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.