- 2 pounds ground beef
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 Spanish onion finely chopped
- 6 large ripe plum tomatoes core -- peel, chop
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 pound fresh fine egg noodles in Asian markets
- 1½ cups plain yogurt
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- ½ cup fresh mint chopped
- In a bowl, combine the beef, cinnamon, coriander, turmeric, cayenne, salt, pepper, and half of the garlic.
- With clean hands, mix thoroughly, then shape the meat into ¾-inch meatballs.
- Set them aside.
- In a large, flameproof casserole, heat the oil, add the onion, and cook over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes or until it is very soft.
- Turn the heat to medium-high and add the meatballs.
- Cook, turning them often, until they lose their pink color.
- Add the plum tomatoes and remaining garlic.
- Cover the pan, turn down the heat, and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes, salt, and pepper and cook the mixture for 5 minutes over low heat, stirring once or twice.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil.
- Add the noodles and cook for 2 to 4 minutes or until they are tender but still have some bite.
- Drain the noodles and transfer them to a bowl.
- Stir in the yogurt, garlic, and salt.
- Toss thoroughly and transfer to 6 wide bowls.
- Spoon meatballs around the edges of each bowl of noodles, add the mint to the center and serve at once.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.