- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onions
- 1 small fennel bulb, cut into ½-inch strips (about 2½ cups; chop and reserve fronds)
- 1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, cut on diagonal into ½-inch slices
- ¼ lb white mushrooms, halved
- 1½ cups coarsely chopped plum tomatoes
- ⅓ cup pitted oil-cured black olives
- 1½ tsp dried basil leaves
- 1½ tsp dried oregano leaves
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 to 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar or lemon juice
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add garlic and onions and cook, stirring often, until just browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add fennel bulb, bell pepper, carrot, mushrooms, tomatoes, , basil, oregano, salt, cinnamon and pepper.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add vinegar, stir well and cook 1 minute.
- Serve over couscous if desired, and garnish with reserved fennel fronds.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.