Stuffed aubergines (little shoes)
- Serves six.
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 lb minced meat
- ½ cup grated cheese (whatever Greek hard cheese you can get)
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 tsp dry breadcrumbs
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2¼ lbs aubergine (about 12)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 cup Bechamel sauce
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- chopped parsley
- 1½ cups tomato sauce
- Brown onions and meat lightly in butter, stirring constantly.
- Add tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Cook covered for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add parsley, egg, ¼ cup cheese and bread crumbs.
- On the 'top' of each aubergine, peel an inch strip from one end to the other and make an incision along strip to within an inch of each end.
- Place in baking dish and bake in moderate oven (about 350°F) until soft and light brown (about 30–45 minutes).
- Insert knife blade into incision and stuff with meat mixture.
- Prepare bechamel sauce.
- Pour about a tablespoon on top of each aubergine.
- Sprinkle with additional grated cheese and dot with butter.
- If desired, add tomato sauce to the pan.
- Bake in a moderate oven for about 35 minutes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.