Most Zambian people always have a number of salads to compliment the meats. To serve, decorate with mint sprig. The salad is no exception.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1½ cups water or fruit juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 spanspek (use cantaloupes if in the USA)
- ¼ watermelon
- salt, pepper
- 2 tablespoons muscadel or port
- mint, for serving
- In a small saucepan, place the sugar, water, lemon juice, vinegar, and ginger.
- Heat to a boiling, stirring well.
- Continue boiling for about 5 minutes, then strain.
- Syrup through a fine sieve or cheesecloth into a bowl.
- Meanwhile, de-seed the cantaloupes and watermelon.
- Using a melon baller, collect melon balls and place in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then sprinkle on the muscatel.
- Toss gently.
- Pour syrup over balls and refrigerate for several hours before serving.
- To serve, decorate with mint sprig.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.