Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Makes 4 servings (½ pepper per serving)
- 10 ounces 93% extra-lean ground beef
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 can (4 ounces) mild chopped green chilies
- ½ cup frozen corn kernels
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- ½ of 8-ounce can tomato sauce, divided use
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large green bell peppers, split in half lengthwise, seeds and stem removed (about 8 ounces each)
- 2 ounces shredded, reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese (⅔ cup)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot.
- Cook beef until browned.
- Remove skillet from heat and drain beef on paper towels.
- Return beef to skillet.
- Add onion, chilies, corn, cornmeal, ¼ cup tomato sauce, cumin and salt. Mix well.
- Arrange peppers, cut side up, in a 12 x 8-inch baking pan.
- Spoon equal amounts of the beef mixture into each pepper half.
- Spoon remaining ¼ cup tomato sauce evenly over each pepper half. Pepper halves will be very full.
- Bake, uncovered, 35 minutes or until peppers are tender.
- Sprinkle each pepper half with equal amounts of the cheese (cheese does not have to melt).
- Serve immediately or cool and freeze.
- To freeze, place each pepper half in 1-quart freezer resealable plastic food storage bags.
- Release any excess air from bags and seal.
- Freeze bags flat for easier storage and faster thawing.
- To reheat, open the food storage bag and place on a microwave-safe plate.
- Cook on high for 3 to 3½ minutes or until hot.
- Remove from bag and place on plate.
Nutritional information Edit
- Cal.: 232 | Cal. from Fat: 32% | Total Fat: 8g | Sat 5g | Carb.: 19g | Protein: 21g | Chol.: 36mg | Sodium: 704mg | Fiber: 4g
- Dietary exchanges: 1 starch | 1 vegetable | 2 meat | ½ fat
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.