- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large Onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 cup dry C&F green or yellow split Peas, rinsed
- 1 quart water
- 1 4-ounce can chopped green chilies
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can whole or diced tomatoes
- 1 10-ounce box frozen corn kernels or 1 15-ounce can corn, drained
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- salt, to taste
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar or Monterey jack Cheese (optional)
- crushed red pepper (optional)
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, cook Onion in oil until tender, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook 2 minutes longer.
- Add cumin and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add oregano and split Peas, stir to coat Peas with oil, then add water and chilies.
- Heat to boiling, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer 35 to 45 minutes, or until Peas are just tender.
- Add tomatoes, corn, and bell pepper, and simmer another 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add salt to taste.
- Sprinkle each serving with shredded Cheese and crushed red pepper, if desired.
Other Links Edit
See also Edit
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.