- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, scrubbed and cut into ½-inch chunks
- 2 heaping cups (peeled, ½-inch chunks) butternut squash
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into ½-inch dice
- 1 x 14- to 16-oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 x 15½-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup couscous, preferably whole wheat
- ¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 to 4 scallions (white and light green parts), chopped
- In soup pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook, stirring until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes, squash, carrots, tomatoes and barely enough water to cover.
- Bring to a simmer, then add cumin and turmeric and simmer gently, covered, until vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Add chickpeas and season to taste with salt and pepper. Simmer over low heat another 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put couscous into an ovenproof bowl and cover with 2 cups boiling water.
- Cover bowl and let stand 5 to 10 minutes, then fluff couscous with fork.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.