- 15 large mussels
- ½ cup raw rice
- 2 large yellow onions
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 2 tbsp currants
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 cup water
- ½ tsp salt
- Prepare mussels by scraping shells thoroughly and washing. Pry shells open without disturbing the hinge.
- Clean by removing the black part of the mussel and the beard. Rinse well.
- Soak in cold water while preparing stuffing.
- Fry onions in olive oil until soft.
- Add rice. Cook together gently, covered, for 19 minutes.
- Add boiling water and rest of ingredients. Continue cooking, covered, until liquid is absorbed.
- When cool, stuff each mussel with the rice mixture and tie shut with string.
- Place the mussels in layers in a saucepan, cover with boiling water and place a plate or small lid immediately on top of the mussels to hold them securely in place while they are cooking.
- Put a lid on the saucepan. Cook over a very low fire for half an hour.
- Drain, but leave mussels undisturbed to cool. Remove strings.
- Serve well chilled, with lemon juice.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.