Mishakiki are skewer-grilled marinated meat, also called Swahili shish kebabs.
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger root, peeled and finely grated
- 1 – 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small ripe tomato, peeled and crushed
- ½ teaspoon tamarind paste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp water
- black pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- 1 – 2 lbs beef, cut into bite-sized cubes
- In a clean glass bowl, combine all marinade ingredients, everything except the meat, vigorously until everything is well mixed.
- Add the meat to the marinade, gently stirring to make sure the meat is covered.
- Allow to marinate for at least an hour, or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Place the marinated meat on skewers, alternating with chunks of onion and green pepper.
- Cook over an outdoor grill over hot coals until meat is done.
- Serve with chapati or rice or bread.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.