- 4 ounces dried udon noodles
- 5 cups water
- 4 tbsp red miso paste or to taste, whisked with 2 tbs. warm water
- 2 shiitake mushrooms, rinsed and thinly sliced
- 1 large daikon, grated
- ½ lb silken tofu, drained and cubed
- ½ bunch watercress, well rinsed and tough ends trimmed
- 1 small sheet toasted nori, cut into thin strips
- vegetarian Japanese rice seasoning to taste
- pinch shichimi togarashi to taste
- Bring large pot of water to a boil over high heat, and cook noodles for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Bring 5 cups water to a boil over high heat.
- Slowly stir miso mixture into water.
- Reduce heat to medium; add mushrooms.
- When mixture returns to a boil, remove from heat and ladle soup into large soup bowls.
- Divide noodles, daikon and tofu into equal portions; add to bowls.
- Garnish with watercress leaves, nori and seasonings to taste.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.