- 3 Green plantains (per serving.) Peeled and cut in half.
- 3 to 4 tablespoons of mojo (mojo can be found on the foundation page.)
- 1 teaspoon of oregano.
- salt and pepper to taste.
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes.
- 3 to 4 tablespoons of sofrito (sofrito can also be found on the foundation page.)
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
- 4 ounces of Chicharon (crushed)
- Place olive oil and bring up to heat, in a pot big enough to hold the can of crushed tomatoes.
- Add sofrito and stir, when it starts to bubble add the can of tomatoes stir and lower heat.
- Add oregano and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer slowly for about 10 to 15 minutes then set aside.
- Place plantains in a large pot with cold salted water, be careful not to over salt about 1 teaspoon should be enough.
- Place pot on the stove and bring to a boil. Lower heat and cook until tender.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place cooked plantains in a large mortar a piece at a time with a spoon of mojo and crush with the pestle. Add a piece of Chicharon and continue crushing.
- Continue this process until you have made on portion.
- Scoop out and shape into a ball and place on a plate. Pour some of the crushed tomato over the Mofongo and serve. #If you rather you can pour a little mojo instead of the tomato.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.