- 1 cup shortening
- 5 – 6 cups flour
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Whip shortening and sugar in a bowl.
- Add molasses and beat until fluffy.
- Mix 2 cups flour with all remaining dry ingredients.
- Alternate adding flour mixture and buttermilk to molasses batter, keeping fluffiness.
- Add flour until mixture is soft but not sticky.
- Roll out to about ¼ inch thickness and cut using a floured edge.
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 9 – 11 minutes on ungreased cookie sheet.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.