- 1 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- ½ cup shortening, butter and lard mixed
- 1 tablespoon soda
- 2½ cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons warm milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- First heat molasses to boiling-point, add shortening, ginger, soda dissolved in warm milk, salt, and flour.
- Toss one-fourth of mixture on a floured board and roll as thinly as possible; shape with a small round cutter, first dipped in flour.
- Place near together on a buttered sheet and bake in a moderate oven.
- Gather up the trimmings and roll with another portion of dough.
- During rolling, the bowl containing mixture should be kept in a cool place, or it will be necessary to add more flour to dough, which makes cookies hard rather than crisp and short.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.