This delicious spicy dish is best served over rice or rice noodles.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 4 pieces
- ½ large sweet Vidalia onion, halved again and thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 x 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- sea salt, to taste
- ground pepper, to taste
- ½ to 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add chicken and cook 2 minutes per side until golden brown.
- Remove to a plate.
- Add onion and garlic and cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently, until onion is tender.
- Add tomatoes, chicken broth, cocoa powder, honey, vinegar and cinnamon.
- Bring to a boil.
- Return chicken to the skillet.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cover and cook about 15 minutes.
- Uncover and cook 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chicken is completely cooked through and sauce is lightly thickened.
Nutritional information Edit
Per serving (277 g-wt.):
- 220 calories (50 from fat) | 5g total fat | 1g saturated fat | 29g protein | 15g total carbohydrate (3g dietary fiber, 4g sugar) | 65mg cholesterol | 360mg sodium
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.