This is my mom's spaghetti sauce recipe. She was a full blooded Italian, and a great cook. This sauce thickens up while it cooks. She never measured anything, as you can see from her seasoning ingredients. She would just eyeball it and toss it in. I still cook that way today.
Serve over spaghetti, ravioli, Lasagna, etc. may be frozen for later use. A TNT recipe.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 1 large can tomato purée (1 lb, 13 oz)
- 2 small cans tomato paste (6 oz each)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 lbs hamburger or Italian sausage (or 1 lb of each)
- garlic clove, minced
- hot pepper flakes
- pepper to taste
- Brown onion and garlic in large pot in hot oil.
- Add tomato puree and paste. For each can of paste, add 2 cans of water (making 4 cans of water total). Stir.
- Bring to boil.
- Brown sausage and meat (or if desired, you can use a good meatball recipe and make meatballs out of the ground beef). Add to sauce.
- Season with basil, oregano, hot pepper flakes, pinch sugar, salt and pepper and wine to taste.
- Simmer 3 to 5 hours.