- 6 lbs tripe, washed thoroughly in hot water and cut in 1-inch pieces or ½ x 2 inch strips
- 1 gallon water
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tbs salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 4 ancho chiles, dried
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro leaves, chopped fine
- 3 (14½ oz) cans yellow hominy, drained
- lime wedges
- Place the tripe, water, onions, garlic,salt, and pepper in a large kettle and let it simmer over low heat for about two hours, skimming fat as necessary.
- Toast the chiles well, using care not to burn them. Remove seeds and veins,if desired, and grind fine. Add powdered chiles and cilantro.
- Simmer for an additional two hours. Add the hominy and cook for another thirty minutes. Serve with lime wedges. Serves 10 - 12
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.