- 4 cups of rice
- 5 cups water
- 2 cups of boiled or canned fava beans
- 2 cups of auyama (gem squash) cut into small cubes
- ½ lb of smoked ham bones (optional)
- 3 bay leaves (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons of coriander finely diced
- 1 chicken stock cube (optional)
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 large green pepper diced into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 3 teaspoons crushed garlic
- In an iron pot heat half the oil, add the peppers, gem squash, faba beans, bay leaves, thyme, coriander, chicken stock cube, green pepper, garlic and the bones, sauté until it is well incorporated.
- Add the tomato paste and water.
- Bring to a boil, adjust salt to taste.
- Add the rice.
- Stir regularly to avoid excessive sticking.
- When all the water has evaporated cover with a tight fitting lid and simmer on very low heat.
- Wait 15 minutes and uncover, stir, add the remaining oil and cover again.
- Wait another 5 minutes.
- Try the rice, it should be firm but tender inside.
- If necessary, cover and leave another 5 minutes on very low heat.
- Take out the bones and and bay leaves and serve hot.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.