This makes six 3-oz servings.
- 3 lbs chicken, cut into serving pieces or 4 split chicken breasts
- 8 dried figs, snipped
- 1 x 8-oz can tomato sauce
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup white wine or apple juice
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp dried thyme leaves
- ½ cup green pepper, chopped (optional)
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted or 2 tbsp almonds, slivered
- Skin chicken.
- Place in a pot or hearty skillet.
- Add remaining ingredients, except sesame seeds or almonds.
- Cover and cook in a slow cooker about 6 hours or cook in oven on low heat about 2 hours.
- For faster cooking, bring to a boil on top of range, reduce heat to low, and cook for 20–35 minutes depending on thickness of chicken pieces.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds or almonds on top before serving.
Nutritional information Edit
- Food exchanges: 3 lean meats, 1 fruit, 1 vegetable.
- Calories per serving: 241, protein 22 g, carbohydrate 22 g, fat 7 g, sodium 270 mg, potassium 553 mg, cholesterol 55 mg.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.