This authentic Moroccan, very healthy soup has all the flavours of its North African heritage. This recipe will serve 4.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 – 2 teaspoon hot sauce, to taste (harissa is best)
- 600 ml hot vegetable stock
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 400 g chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 200 g broad beans, shelled
- ½ lemon, juice and rind
- 4 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and, when hot, fry the onion and celery for about 10 minutes, or until soft.
- Stir the cumin into the pan for about 30 seconds before turning up the heat and adding the stock, tomatoes, chickpeas and hot sauce.
- Turn the heat down and simmer for 7 or 8 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Finally, add the broad beans and lemon juice and cook for a further 3 minutes, until the beans are tender.
- Serve whilst hot!.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.