Each ethnic community tends to improvise and cover the moussaka in its own favorite way, topping it with Cheese, gravy, etc. This is the standard Israeli version.
- 1 lb. ground Lamb
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- 3 chopped onions
- 2 tbs. flour
- 2 cups water or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup tomato paste mixed with 1/4 cup water
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed or cut into small pieces
- 1 tbs. corn starch
- 2 tbs. oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- Cut Eggplants (unpeeled) into rings.
- Sprinkle with salt and let stand for one hour.
- Wash under water and dry. Saut onions in one tbs. oil until soft.
- Add garlic and meat and fry until lightly browned.
- Remove from heat and add tomato paste/water mixture. Set aside.
- Sprinkle flour on Eggplant slices and fry in one tbs. oil until brown.
- Layer fried Eggplant slices in a casserole dish with meat mixture.
- Repeat layering until full.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Mix corn starch in stock/water, add eggs and pour on top of meat mixture.
- Return to oven and bake at 325 deg F (170 deg C) until gravy begins to be absorbed.
- Serve hot.
Other Links Edit
See also Edit
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.