This is one of Bess Truman's favorite dishes. Bess Truman had a well-equipped kitchen and often prepared breakfast or lunch for her family. The Trumans also employed several African American women who cooked for the family.
- Mrs. Truman's Recipes from the Harry S. Truman Museum, public domain goverment resource—original source of recipe.
- Melt oleo in pan.
- Slice carrots.
- Put carrots in oleo and cook until almost tender.
- Add brown sugar.
- Cook until tender and golden brown.
- For candy sweet potatoes, cook sweet potatoes the same way as carrots you may want to use a little more oleo.
- Butter or another brand of margarine can be used in place of the oleo.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.