This recipe came from the kitchen of Bess Truman and is one of President Truman's favorite recipes. Mrs. Truman had a well-equipped kitchen and often prepared breakfast or lunch for her family. The Trumans also employed several African American women who cooked for the family.
- Mrs. Truman's Recipes from the Harry S. Truman National Historic Site, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- 1½ cup water
- 1 x 16 oz canned tomato
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cook spaghetti in salt water then blanche and strain well.
- Put aside.
- Mix sauce ingredients together in pot and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Brown hamburger, onion and garlic before mixing together; cook for 30 minutes.
- Stir often to keep from burning.