- 2 pints coffee ice cream, softened slightly
- 3/4 cup (1 1?2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1?4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Drop six 1?2-cup mounds of ice cream onto waxed paper–lined baking sheet.
- Using metal spatula, shape each mound into 3- to 3 1?2-inch square. Freeze squares while preparing dough.
- In large bowl, beat butter and Sugar using electric mixer until smooth.
- Beat in egg yolk and vanilla. In medium bowl, mix flour, cocoa and salt.
- Add to butter mixture and beat until soft dough forms. Gather dough into ball; flatten into rectangle.
- Roll out dough between 2 sheets of waxed paper to 13 x 10-inch rectangle.
- Place dough, still between waxed paper sheets, on baking sheet.
- Chill until firm, at least 1 hour and up to 1 day.
- Preheat oven to 300 °F. Line large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel top sheet of waxed paper off dough; discard.
- Trim dough to 12 x 9-inch rectangle; then cut dough into twelve 3-inch squares.
- Transfer squares to parchment-lined baking sheet, discarding waxed paper and spacing them about 1 inch apart.
- Bake until cookies are firm, about 20 minutes. Cool cookies completely on baking sheet.
- Arrange 6 cookies, flat side up, on work surface.
- Top each with frozen ice cream square, then another cookie, flat side down, pressing slightly to adhere.
- Cover and freeze sandwiches until ready to serve. ice cream sandwiches can be made up to 4 days ahead.
- Store, wrapped in plastic, in the freezer.
See also Edit
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.