- 3 cups crushed wheat
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons oil or shortening
- 1 pound lamb or beef cut into large chunks
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 onions, chopped
- Wash wheat and soak for two hours in water to cover.
- Brown meat in oil or shortening.
- When browned, stir in chopped tomato, salt, pepper and 1 cup water.
- Simmer until meat is tender and set aside.
- Drain wheat and fry gently in oil or shortening in a separate skillet large enough to hold all ingredients.
- Cook, stirring, until grain begins to turn color.
- Add meat mixture and the remaining 3 cups water, cover, and cook until all water is almost absorbed and the wheat is fluffy.
- Fry onion and place it in a depression in center of wheat.
- Cover and allow to steam over a very low flame for about 1 hour.
- Stir onion into the wheat and turn the mixture out onto a platter, picking out the biggest of the meat pieces to place across the top.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.