Cook Time: 2.5 hours
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 2 – 4 strips thick sliced bacon
- 1 pound boneless pork chops, cubed small
- 1 pound round steak cubed small
- 1 pound ground round steak
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (10 ounce) can Spanish style tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- ½ Tbsp or to taste of crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp Tabasco
- 3 Tbsp (heaping) chili powder
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano leaves
- 1 tsp ground oregano
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 12 ounces beer
Directions[edit | edit source]
- Cook bacon in a large heavy skillet until crisp.
- Remove bacon, crumble and set aside.
- Brown the cubed meat and ground meat in the bacon drippings.
- Brown the meat in batches to prevent overcrowding.
- Transfer the browned meat and any juices to a Dutch oven or large pot.
- In the same skillet, sauté the onions and garlic until slightly softened, adding additional bacon drippings if necessary.
- Transfer the onion mixture to the Dutch oven and add reserved bacon, tomatoes, tomato sauce, chopped chilies and tabasco.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat, stirring to combine well.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook gently for 30 minutes.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients, including beer.
- Cover and cook for 2 hours, stirring occasionally, until the chili has thickened and the meat is tender.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.