The rosemary in this recipe blends perfectly with the ingredients and gives the tart complexity and balance.
- Dessert Recipes by the South Carolina Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- 1½ cups flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 8 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp milk or cream
- 30 muscadine grapes
- 1 tbsp instant tapioca powder
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 3 tbsp raw (turbinado) sugar
- In a food processor or standing mixer with the paddle attachment, combine the flour, sugar, and butter until the mixture resembles meal.
- Stir together the yolk and milk and add to flour mixture.
- Pulse or beat just until the dough comes together.
- Do not overwork the pastry.
- Flatten into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F.
- On a well-floured surface, roll out the dough to a 13-inch circle, adding more flour if necessary.
- Fit the dough into a 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom.
- Fold over the excess dough and flute the edge.
- Place foil or waxed paper in the bottom of the tart pan and weight it with dried beans or pastry weights.
- Bake for 15 minutes on the bottom rack of the oven.
- Remove the foil and weights and set the shell aside.
- While the pastry is baking, prepare the filling.
- Cut the grapes in half and carefully remove the seeds with the point of a knife, without separating the pulp from the skin.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the tapioca, lemon juice, sugar, and rosemary.
- Add the grapes and stir to combine.
- Allow the filling to stand for 15 minutes and stir again to dissolve the tapioca.
- Remove the grapes from the juices and arrange, cut side down, ½ inch apart in concentric circles in the tart shell.
- Stir the juices again and pour them over the grapes.
- Bake the tart for 15 minutes on the bottom rack.
- Lower the heat to 350 °F and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.