- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups assorted sliced fresh mushrooms, such as oyster, shiitake, button, white, and/or cremini
- 2 Tablespoons assorted snipped fresh herbs, such as basil, oregano, thyme, and/or parsley
- 5 cups French or Italian bread cubes
- 2 ounces chopped ham
- 1 cup of shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup frozen or refrigerated egg substitute product, thawed
- 1¾ cups skim milk
- ½ cup fat-free sour cream
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 Teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet cook onion and garlic in hot pan sprayed with cooking spray over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook about 3 minutes more or until tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Add herbs.
- In a greased 2-quart square baking dish, place half of the bread cubes. Top with mushroom mixture, ham and mozzarella.
- In a mixing bowl combine beaten eggs or egg product, milk, sour cream, mustard, and pepper. Pour over layers in dish. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 2 to 24 hours.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 325 °F oven for 55 to 60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- To serve, cut into squares. If desired, garnish with fresh herb sprigs.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.