- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 leek top, chopped and washed
- 4 garlic cloves, in their skin, crushed with the side of a knife blade
- 1 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon peppercorns
- ½ pound white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 small carrots, chopped
- 6 parsley sprigs, coarsely chopped
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 fresh marjoram or oregano sprigs
- 2 fresh sage leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 9 cups cold water
- Pour just enough water into the stockpot to start the onions cooking.
- Add the onion, leek top, garlic, shiitake mushrooms, and salt.
- Give the vegetables a stir, then cover the pot and cook gently over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and cover with 9 cups cold water.
- Bring the stock to a boil, then simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- Pour the stock through a strainer, pressing as much liquid as you can from the vegetables, then discard them.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.