She obtained this recipe when she was on a Key West Florida Navy base (my dad was career Navy) when she was a young bride. She married in 1946 so we know it goes back at least that far. Exact date unknown
- 2 cups stale bread crumbs
- 4 cups milk
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cups Sugar
- Put bread, milk, nutmeg, and cocoa in bowl.
- Soak 2-3 minutes.
- Beat eggs, Sugar, and salt.
- Mash soaked crumbs and add egg mixture.
- Pour into pudding dish.
- Bake in slow oven about 40 minutes placing dish in hot water.
- Serve with sauce which is made by beating egg white until stiff.
- Add milk, beaten yolk, Sugar, vanilla and cream.
- Stir until smooth.
Contributed by: Edit
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.