- 1¼ to 1½ cups water
- 3 pounds lean beef tips, cut into small cubes
- ½ teaspoon crumbled dried thyme
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 4 large green plantains, peeled and cubed
- 10 ounces freshly shelled green peas
- 1 pint coconut milk
- Place water in large pot and add beef.
- Bring to boil and add thyme, salt and pepper.
- Cover and reduce to simmer then cook until beef is tender, 30 to 45 minutes, set pot aside.
- In heavy skillet, add oil and heat.
- When oil is hot, but not smoking, add garlic, onions and tomatoes and cook until onions are translucent.
- Add beef to vegetables and reduce heat; cook slowly about 10 minutes.
- Add plantains, peas and coconut milk and continue to simmer over low heat 5 to 10 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings to taste and cook another 10 to 15 minutes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.