- 3 cup regular white flour
- 1/2 cup dry powdered milk (I find this to be better than bottled milk)
- 1 tbl baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 qt vegetable oil or shortening for frying.
- Cast iron skillet is great for this frying, it holds the heat better.
- Preheat your frying oil on Medium-high, but not "smoking" hot!
- The quicker you fry your bread, then the more tender and soft it will be.
- While your oil is heating, you can make the dough.
- Mix the dry ingredients first, then add warm water gradually and mix with hand until you get a ball of dough that is not too sticky.
- Pick off pieces of dough in the size of eggs and set them aside. You should have about 10 "eggs".
- Hand-shape the piece of dough into a disc that can fit into your pan. or, use the rolling pin on a floured surface and roll dough out into a disc. You can prepare all the discs first or make them as you go.
- Now, fry the dough and watch closely. The frying oil should be medium-hot, but not smoking.
- Fry the bread on each side a few minutes or until it is a nice light brown.
- Use two forks to flip the bread over and be careful not to flip hot oil on yourself!
- Drain the fry-bread on paper towels and serve immediately!
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.