Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: San Antonio Express-News, web posted: on 09/11/2007, adapted from Blount Seafood Corp.
- Makes 6 servings
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 large rib celery, peeled and diced
- ½ green bell pepper, seeded and diced (optional)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 tsp flour
- 1 cup clam juice
- 3 cups milk or mixture of milk and half-and-half
- 3 – 4 boiled red potatoes, cut into 1½-inch dice
- 1 cup chopped clams, with juice, either from can or foil pack
- salt, to taste
- pinch of white pepper or cayenne, or to taste
- pinch of dried thyme
- Fry bacon until just crisp.
- Remove from pan.
- When bacon has cooled slightly, chop it and set aside.
- Pour off all but about 1 teaspoon bacon drippings.
- Put onion, celery and green pepper in skillet and gently sauté until vegetables are cooked.
- Set pan off the heat.
- In heavy-bottomed soup pot, melt butter.
- Add flour; stir and fry the mixture until it's cooked but not browned.
- In meantime, heat clam juice with milk or half-and-half.
- When flour mixture is cooked, slowly add hot milk mixture, whisking to incorporate it with the roux.
- Let it simmer, whisking to make it smooth as it thickens.
- When soup has thickened, add potatoes, clams, salt and pepper or cayenne, thyme and reserved bacon.
- Let simmer for a couple of more minutes until potatoes and clams are heated through.
- If it is thicker than you like, add a little more milk.
Nutritional information Edit
- 220 calories | 12g protein | 23g carbs | 2g dietary fiber | 10g fat | 40mg cholesterol | 260mg sodium
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.