Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Source: River Road Recipes IV
- Serves 10 to 12
- 2 large loaves stale French bread, cubed
- 1 quart fresh oysters
- 1 bunch parsley, trimmed and chopped
- 2 bunches green onions, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 ribs celery, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tsp (heaping) bacon drippings
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- ⅛ to ¼ tsp thyme
- salt and red pepper to taste
- Dry the bread cubes on a baking sheet at 200°F.
- Drain the oysters, reserving the liquor and discarding any shells.
- Cut large oysters into halves if desired.
- Soak the bread cubes in the reserved oyster liquor in bowl.
- Saute the parsley, green onions, bell pepper, onion, celery and garlic in a mixture of the bacon drippings and ½ cup of the butter in a large skillet until the vegetables are tender.
- Combine the sautéed vegetables, bread cubes, remaining ½ cup butter, oysters, thyme, salt and red pepper in a bowl and mix well.
- Spoon the dressing into a baking dish.
- Bake at 350°F until brown and bubbly.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.