Recipe by: Elizabeth Powell
- Preparation time: 4:00
- 1 lbs red kidney beans, dried
- 1 onion, chopped
- ¼ cup celery, chopped
- ½ tsp Tabasco sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups rice
- ½ lbs salt pork
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 quart ham or beef stock
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp thyme
- Soak beans in water overnight.
- In a dutch oven, brown salt pork.
- Add onions, garlic, and celery and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add bean stock, Tabasco sauce, salt, and herbs.
- Simmer 3 hours or until beans are tender.
- Add water when necessary during cooking; water should barely cover beans at end of cooking.
- Remove 1 cup beans and mash to paste.
- Add mashed bean paste back to beans; stir until liquid is thickened.
- Serve over hot rice.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.