Fruit and Vegetable Recipes I by the South Carolina Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- 1 bunch (5 lbs.) collard greens
- ½ lb lean pork
- 2 quarts water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- Check leaves of collards carefully; remove pulpy stems and discolored spots on leaves.
- Wash leaves thoroughly; drain well and chop. Set aside.
- Cut pork into ½-in. thick slices.
- Cook in an 8-quart dutch oven until golden brown.
- Slowly add water and bring to a boil.
- Add collards and other ingredients.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30-45 minutes or until collards are tender, stirring occasionally.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.