Ngephe Gyaw (Fritters) is a delicious and flavorful appetizer to complement any meal.
- 450 g (1 lb) featherback fish, or cod, kingfish or flounder
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- water to moisten fingers
- 250 ml (1 cup) oil for deep frying
- Fillet the fish and flake the flesh then put in a mortar.
- Put in garlic and ginger and pound the mixture to a paste.
- Add in the turmeric, salt and chili flakes.
- Pound for 10 – 12 minutes.
- Moisten your hands with water and scoop some of the pasty mixture and flatten it on your palm until it resembles a cookie.
- Heat oil in a pan and deep-fry the fish fritters for 4 – 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drain excess oil in absorbent paper before serving.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.