High altitude directions (over 3500 feet): Not recommended for use.
- 1 pack active dry yeast
- 1¼ cup warm water
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp shortening
- 2 tsp salt 
- 2 cup Gold Medal whole wheat flour
- 1 cup Gold Medal all-purpose flour
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in large bowl.
- Add sugar, shortening, salt, all-purpose flour and ½ cup of the whole wheat flour.
- Beat on low speed, scraping bowl constantly, 30 seconds.
- Beat on medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally, 2 minutes (or beat 300 vigorous strokes by hand).
- Stir in remaining whole wheat flour until smooth.
- Scrape batter from side of bowl.
- Cover and let rise in warm place until almost double, 40 to 45 minutes.
- Stir down batter by beating about 25 strokes.
- Smooth and pat batter in greased loaf pan, 9x5x3 or 8½x4½x2½ inches, with floured hand.
- Cover and let rise until double, about 40 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375 °F.
- Bake until loaf sounds hollow when tapped, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Brush top with margarine.
- Remove loaf from pan; cool on wire rack.
- ↑ If using self-rising flour, decrease salt to 1 teaspoon.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.