Contributed by Jenn B aka Mom2Sam and Tiny at Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup dry milk powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp active dry yeast (2 pkgs)
- ¼ cup honey
- 1¼ cups warm water (110 to 115°F)
- 1½ cups bran or 2 cups bran cereal
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- Stir together the flour, dry milk powder, and salt.
- Combine the yeast honey , warm water, and bran in a large mixing bowl.
- Let the yeast mixture stand 2 minutes.
- Add the egg, oil, and about half of the flour mixture.
- Beat until smooth.
- Add the remaining flour mixture and stir to form a sticky dough.
- Cover with a damp towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Stir down and pour into a lightly greased 9 by 5 inch loaf pan.
- Bake in a 375°F oven for about 40 minutes.
- Cool in the pan for 5 minutes.
- Remove and cool thoroughly on a wire rack.
Nutritional information Edit
Food value per 1/18 of loaf:
- 128 calories
- Exchange exchange values: 1 bread + 1 fat
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.