Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 2 green onions, sliced thinly, tops included
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- 1 green chili pepper, chopped
- ½ cup canola or vegetable oil
- 3 cans chicken broth (14½ oz cans) or 6 cups homemade chicken stock
- 2 cups pumpkin purée or 1 can (16 oz) solid pack pumpkin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 cup undiluted, evaporated skim milk
- salt and pepper to taste (canned chicken broth and canned pumpkin may contain added salt. Taste the finished soup before adding salt, as additional salt may not be needed)
- Parmesan cheese
- fresh chopped parsley
- In a 6-quart saucepan, sauté onions, green onions, celery and chili pepper in oil.
- Cook until onions begin to look translucent.
- Add broth, pumpkin, bay leaf, and cumin.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Add evaporated milk and cook over low heat 5 minutes. Do not boil.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Add ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper, if desired.
- Transfer hot soup to pumpkin tureen.
- Garnish with grated parmesan cheese and chopped parsley.
- Serve hot.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.