Also known as Cactus Pie
- 8 fresh cactus pieces, paddles with thorns and eyes removed and tough edges sliced off, diced
- 1 pastry for double-crust pie, 9 inch (either your favorite recipe or frozen pre-made pie crusts)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 slice fruit of prickly pear cactus (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Parboil cactus for 3 minutes in enough boiling, lightly salted water to cover in a covered saucepan.
- Drain and rinse under running water.
- Roll half of pastry to ⅛-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface.
- Place in a 9-inch pie plate; trim off excess pastry along edges and set to the side.
- Combine cactus dice (nopalitos) and next three ingredients; mix well by hand.
- Spoon filling evenly into pastry shell, and dot with butter.
- Roll remaining pastry to ⅛-inch thickness; cut into ½-inch strips and arrange into lattice;
- Fold edges under and flute into a pretty edge.
- Bake for 50 – 60 minutes.
- Garnish with slice of prickly pear fruit, if desired.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.